Apply for a product design
How we work
As a design intern you will take part of the daily work in the studio. You will learn to understand and handle all phases and steps of the design process. A client project typically starts with an idea, research and sketches and 3d visualization, followed by quick and simple mockups in paper, cardboard or wood or a 3d printed model to evaluate aesthetics and proportions. Discussing, elaborating and exploring form and shapes is a crucial part of the design process, which sometimes arrives at unexpected destinations. When we are pleased with form and concept, the next step is to formulate a presentation which tells the story about the work. As a final step, technical drawings and specifications will eventually be required for manufacture.
JWDA strives consiously to work with a broad range of projects and assignments and without restriction of specific materials or geographical limitations. However, the work is primarily focused on product design and creative direction. The design work ranges from tableware, lighting, furniture, objects and accessories, to small houses and interiors. Furthermore, we also try to make time for unsolicited, self-initiated projects in order to investigate and explore new ideas and to reach untouched territory in terms of markets, clients, materials and contexts. This is an important type of research and development work, but great fun too!
We allow one internship position at two times per year. During the summer the studio is closed and no internship is possible.
– Spring semester: January 10th – June 30th (6 months)
Application deadline Nov-Dec
– Fall semester: August 20th – December 20th (5 months)
Application deadline May-Jun
– You have a Bachelor degree in product or industrial design
– You are curious, motivated and ambitious!
– You are a confident user of SolidWorks or Rhino
– You enjoy making mockups and building models
– You are proficient in spoken and written English
The first internship period is not compensated financially. However, if things go well there is a possibility to extend with a second period which is reembursed with 1,000 EUR per month (subject to Swedish income tax).
Please include in your application
– Cover letter and references (if applicable)
– CV with documentation of education and skills
– Portfolio with selected work, including both visuals, prototypes and technical drawings (max 5 MB)
Please send your application to info (at) jonaswagell.se